Stories, thoughts and reflections on the Bible from the WSFC Staff.
There is an ancient legend about a monk who found a very precious jewel. Later the monk met a traveler, who said he was hungry and asked if he would share some of his provisions. When the monk opened his bag, the traveler saw the precious stone and, on an impulse, asked if he could have it. Amazingly, the monk gave the traveler the jewel. Overjoyed, the traveler departed quickly. However, a few days later, he came back, searching for the monk. He returned the stone and made this request:
“Please give me something more valuable, more precious than this stone. Please give me that which enabled you to give me this precious stone!”
As Christians, we know that this valuable commodity is called “kindness” and it is a natural by-product of a Spirit-filled life.
Godly Kindness will:
- Preserve unity and community
- Protect one another’s interests
- Provide a safe environment for growth
Did you know that West Salem Foursquare has a reputation for being a kind and loving church? That reputation does not come easily but it can be easily taken away from us and replaced with something much more unbecoming. I want to commend you for being “kind people.”
Let’s continue to develop this byproduct of the Spirit by:
- Establishing a no-cut zone. “Instead, speaking the truth in love…” (Ephesians 4:15)
- Establishing a no-gossip zone. “If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you.” (Matt. 18:15)
- Establishing a no-throw zone. “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone…” (John 8:7)
~ Pastor John