Stories, thoughts and reflections on the Bible from the WSFC Staff.
I’m continuing on in sharing the beliefs, values, and dreams of West Salem Foursquare. It’s important to be reminded every once and awhile about what makes us tick as a congregation.
Together, we value:
1. GENEROSITY:We believe that possessing a generous spirit allows us to give and bless others freely. This is consistent with, and conditional upon God’s gracious benevolence towards us. (Matthew 10:8; 2 Corinthians 8:1-2; 9:11-13)
2. SINCERE RELATIONSHIPS: We are committed to the continual pursuit of relational harmony, genuine affection and shared life that reflects the value of every person, the inclusion of each family member and the importance of strong community. (Romans 12:9-21; 1 Peter 4:8-10)
3. GROWTH PROCESS: With the goal of spiritual maturity in mind, we contribute to the growth of every person. We are not driven by results, but we do understand that Christ continues His work of perfection in us all until we reach spiritual maturity. (Eph 4:1-4 & 13; Phil 1:6; Hebrews 5:2)
4. MINISTRY MULTIPLICATION:We choose to reproduce ministries and servant leaders through multiplication not addition. One plus one ought to equal more than two if we’re purposely training others. (2 Timothy 2:2)
5. INTEGRITY:We choose the same Christ-honoring standards to guide us whether in church ministry, in the market place or in our private moments. God’s pattern is that how we minister flows from who we are in character. (1 Peter 1:13-16; Colossians 1:28-29)
6. SHARED MINISTRY:In decision-making and everyday serving, everyone has something to contribute and a community to which they belong. The role of staff pastors is to prioritize, shepherd and train emerging, spirit-gifted servant leaders in the church family. (Ephesians 4:11-13; 1 Corinthians 12:14-20)
7. INTERGENERATIONAL EMBRACE:We believe that every generation has a unique contribution and expression in the life of the Church and in the Kingdom of God. Each person in every age group is to be upheld within the community as a viable and valuable member. (Psalm 45:17; 71:18; 145:4; Job 8:8)
8. LAUGHTER AND JOY:We take God and the things of God very seriously, but we don’t take ourselves so seriously. Rejoicing in God and experiencing His joy will add strength to our lives. Therefore, we endeavor to laugh at ourselves and enjoy each day as a gift from God. (Nehemiah 8:10; Proverbs 17:22; Philippians 4:4)
9. COURAGE: We do not fear forward movement or change as we look to God to supply our every need and be our very sustenance. Faith demands that we hear and obey God, which will allow us to move into the future with vision, passion and sacrificial commitment. (Proverbs 38:1; Joshua 1:6-7; Acts 1:8)
10. BALANCE:In both doctrine and conduct we choose to strike a scriptural and practical balance. We desire to not fall off the cutting edge. (1 Timothy 4:21; Titus 2:1-5)
11. CREATIVE EXCELLENCE:We believe that a simple presentation of Jesus Christ in creative ways will impact and transform lives. We believe that God is worthy of our best. Therefore a growing spirit of undistracting excellence should permeate every activity. (Colossians 3:17, 23-24; Ecclesiastes 9:10; Psalm 33:3)
12. PRAYERFUL SUBMISSION: The invitation from the Apostle Paul to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17) could very well be deemed impossible if it were to mean one must maintain a constant flow of words and petitions. Rather it is an intentional posture of submission to the heart and purposes of our loving Father. We value an unashamed dependency upon God for everything in our lives. (Romans 12:1,2; Matthew 26:36-45)
P.S. Here are some things to check out in the life of WSFC:
Connect Cafe: New to WSFC or have questions for Pastor John? Join us for Connect Cafe after every service this weekend, May 14th & 15th in the Ministry Center.
Baptism: Our next opportunity for you to be baptized is coming up on May 21st & 22nd! Pastor Dan Durbin will be teaching a Baptism class this weekend, May 14th & 15th. To sign-up or for questions email Dan at email@example.com.
Grouplink: Wanting to get connected at WSFC? Meet others and learn more about groups, serving, ministries. Grouplink meets every Sunday 5:30-6:30pm beginning May 22nd. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The J12 Encounter: On Sunday, June 5 @ 6 pm we welcome Gregg Johnson and The J12 Encounter. This is an event specifically for Parents and their Tweens, even though ALL AGES are invited. The J12 Encounter is an international touring, 2-hour event that will equip parents and young people with the “MUST” spirit of Jesus found in Luke 2: I MUST BE ABOUT MY FATHER’S BUSINESS. You won’t want to miss this powerful evening!