What is dedication?
It is an opportunity to publicly declare your intentions to raise your child in the ways of the Lord. Dedication is not the salvation of a child, but a public expression of the fact that he or she belongs to God.
Why do we dedicate?
We dedicate children to the Lord because of biblical examples: Jesus’ Example (Luke 2:22), Jesus’ Teaching (Mark 10:13-16) and Hannah’s dedication of Samuel (1 Samuel 1:27). Also, we recognize that everything we have belongs to God including our children.
As a part of this dedication, parents are asked to:
- Publicly affirm your personal faith in Christ and renew your dedication to Him and His Word.
- Pray daily for God’s direction in your lives and in the lives of your children.
- Be an example in service and worship for your children.
- Teach your children the truth of God’s Word in your home.
- Anticipate and seek to lead your children to a personal faith in Christ as soon as they are ready.
- Recognize that your children belong to God and have been born to experience His love and to serve Him.
What does Baby Dedication Celebration look like at WSFC?
The celebrations happen twice a year and is an evening dessert event. We encourage you to invite family and close friends, the people who are supporting you in this parenting journey. There will be a time for a teaching, prayer, and making a commitment to raise your child in the ways of the Lord.