Blog

Stories, thoughts and reflections on the Bible from the WSFC Staff.

Fix Your Thoughts

There’s a lot to do and think about during the Christmas season. There’s plenty of holiday gatherings, gift-buying, office parties, making lists, and checking them twice. Don’t even get me started on fruitcakes and figgy pudding.

In the midst of all the running around and busy-ness of Christmas, can I, strongly and pastorally, encourage you to keep your eyes (and hearts) focused upon Jesus.

You may be saying: “Oh, sure…Jesus, absolutely! He is, of course, the reason for the season!”

But, I know that is easier said than actually done. It’s hard to stay focused on Jesus when there is so much to do and think about.

Did you know that the average person has 10,000 separate thoughts each day? That works out to be 3.5 million thoughts a year. If you live to be 75, you will have over 26 million different thoughts.

The human mind will always fix itself upon something…even if it’s the wrong thing!

What do we tend to fix our thoughts on?
1. Things that are Flimsy. When there is stuff we want, then that’s all we see or think about. We fixate on those things. And, all too often, when we actually get them, we sadly but quickly realize just how flimsy, breakable, temporary and worth-less they really are.

2. People that are Fallible. We place all our hopes and dreams upon people that will often times fail us miserably. I’m not trying to be cynical or pessimistic, but honestly, it’s not IF it is WHEN you and I will be hurt by someone. Why? Because people are fallible. Humans are, well…just that: human.

3. Thoughts that are False. Worry has a way of elevating what is false. A recent survey on worry indicated that only 8% of the things people fretted about were legitimate. The other 92% were imaginary, never happened, or were matters that could not have even been controlled.

So, there’s gotta be something (or someone) better to fix our thoughts upon then that which is flimsy, fallible and false!

There is: Jesus.

Hebrews 12:2 invites us to “fix our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith.”

That sounds like a good thing to do this Christmas season!

Grace & Peace,

John